Oreck Vacuum

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A rummage under the stairs.

Now I knew that Grandad had trained for some massage treatment courses and I had the box of stuff from my Dad, somewhere under the stairs. Got it!

This is amazing! I am just looking at the certificates awarded by the Smae Institute, that Grandad received in 1946 on completion and successfully passing the Swedish Massage course.
There are also some fascinating books by the French physician, Emile Coue. In particular his pamphlet:  conscious auto-suggestion, and J. Louis Orton which include such titles in the 'intensive course' literature as: 'System of Voice Culture', 'The World's Greatest Power/how to make the most of it', Personality/its nature, operation & development', & 'Hygeinic Therapy'.

This is quite a revelation to me; though is it? I had known for a good while that Grandad Butler was a believer in complimentary medicine and therapies. We would often see him downing a tablespoon full of Olive oil, before rubbing a drop or two into his hands and his face.
He had strong beliefs in the principles of 'mind-over-matter' as held by Christian Scientist Church, founded by Mary Baker Eddy  but more than that; I don't know.

In amongst the text books is an examination paper from the Smae Institute; founded 1919, dated for 1st November 1948/ Final Examination, section B/Joint manipulation, comprising of 10 questions. It states: "When the term describe is used it will not be sufficient to give only names, full details are required."

I have been taking a look at some of the pamphlets, associated with this course.

D.M. CLARKE, of the Smae Institute. Right at the end, following his last paragraph; wishing the students well in their chosen career progression, he quotes an elderly gentleman:

In these days of being politically correct, I am not going to apologise in repeating this -

A patient is reputedly said to have peered over the top of the sheets one day and said:

"All the world is queer, save thee and me, and even thee's a little queer."

Strangely enough, this is a phrase which I have heard many times in our family, and never known its origins until now!




No comments:

Post a Comment