Oreck Vacuum

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Two little girls and the Sunflower Goddess



 On our many trips to Arnside, me and my sister Hilary pictured left, with our Grandma Butler; would spend ages marvelling at the beautiful ornament, you can just see in the window. I think I would be about 3-ish  in this picture and Hils about 14 months. This picture of Grandma Butler is my endearing memory of her, and if I shut my eyes; I can smell the freshly picked bunch of sweetpeas I'm clutching. The black and white picture of the day, obviously does not do them justice.


The statue in the window is called 'Clytie' we loved her:



 Clytie was a character in Greek mythology who became jealous of her lover, the sun god Apollo. To punish her, he transformed her into a sunflower so that she would always face towards him in his daily journey across the skies. This bust of Clytie fascinated us; the beautiful, yet sad face emerging from a sunflower, in pure white unglazed porcelain which closely resembled a type of marble from the island of Paros; and became known as Parian Ware.  The picture below is the marble statue; the porcelain one now resides at my parents house.




No comments:

Post a Comment