Oreck Vacuum

Friday, May 14, 2010

Cigarettes

Grandad on contemplating giving up smoking:


Viscious companion, definitely dubious friend, 
You have become of late, too friendly by far.
Our long familiarity now must end,
Though my nerves you soothe, my lungs you jar.
The occasions of our hob-nobbing must be reduced,
Your lips seek mine less often than heretofore,
It is a question of acquaintance much abused,
For though I'm friendly, I cannot you adore.
I am quite sure I don't love you, cigarette:
To great cause you give disapproval and fret.

A penance must I do straight away from you.
If needs a smokey cloud I would inhale,
It is advised a pipe would better do,
To make me look content, a homely male.
In any case we must be more reserved,
And cease from twenty gallivants a day:
Too expensive too, your attention I have observed,
And I can ill-afford for vice to pay.
A slight restriction, therefore, does forefend
Much grave complaining and annoyance without end.

1 comment:

  1. I know this is hardly pc, but I used to help Grandad, roll his cigarettes as a child! with his 'rizla machine thingy' I was very proud of my work too, can not believe I am writing this. Grandad almost always had a cigarette welded to his lower lip, most often than not, it'd have goen out too, just hanging there!

    ReplyDelete